Skip to main content

CHIT CHAT with Len Hayes, Star of "Ruff Goodbye" by Rosemary Shomaker

Hello, readers! I’m Len Hayes, and I’m the bar owner in Rosemary Shomaker’s “Ruff Goodbye.” I’m on the tall side and in my forties. I met my lovely wife Joyce in another city, and we moved to the small city where she was raised to open our business. She’s a great cook, and she was right that a seafaring-themed restaurant with a prominent bar would prove popular here. We’ve got a resident dog at The Beacon; he’s a bit peculiar. Read on to learn more about me and the particulars of “Ruff Goodbye.”

Where is your favorite place to visit? My favorite place to visit is my office in The Beacon. Whereas The Beacon is filled with nautical and ocean decor and music, my office is a tan and brown ordered work area with a desk and our business filing cabinets, computer, printer, and phone. The office area is large enough to also include a few club chairs, a nice coffee table, and a large circular table surrounded by captain’s chairs. The playlist in my office is jazz, not the sailing and island-themed music we use for background in the bar and dining area.

What do you do for fun? For fun I catch a movie with my wife or visit with our friends, Curt and Sharon Powell. That’s not so fun now, though. My best friend Curt recently died of cancer.

What makes you laugh? My not-understated wife makes me laugh. She’s the original “go-big-or-go-home” gal, with her big jewelry, her bright-colored clothes, and her thick, curly red hair that is often loose and wild, seldom constrained, and always attractive! She’s bold, bohemian, and unpredictable. She’s got a great sense of humor and a heart of gold.

What’s something you do when no one is watching? When no one is watching, I watch golf on TV. I haven’t played golf myself much, yet I’m glued to televised coverage of major championships. These is something precise about the game that I like, and I enjoy the quiet, sedate, and pointed commentary of the TV sportscasters who cover golf.

Are you married? I am married to Joyce. We’ve been married more than ten years. It’s our first marriage each, and we are happy to have found one another!

What’s your most significant human-to-human relationship? Joyce is my most significant human-to-human relationship, although I was close to Curt, and I’m distraught at his passing.

Are you an introvert or an extrovert? I’m squarely an introvert, and the intimate, cozy ambiance of The Beacon, especially the bar area, suits me. I feel free in that familiar area to be myself and interact with patrons genuinely. My wife Joyce is the extrovert.


What is your idea of the perfect day? A perfect day for me if when, in addition to our regular crowd, four of more parties of at least seven choose to dine at The Beacon. That kind of money fills the till and gives the waitstaff great tips!

_____________



You can read about Len’s escapades in Rosemary Shomaker’s story “Ruff Goodbye,” one of four stories included in To Fetch a Scoundrel, Four Fun “Tails” of Scandal and Murder.

See SIDEBAR for links to buy your copy of To Fetch a Scoundrel.
CLICK HERE to read more about the four stories in To Fetch a Scoundrel.
CLICK HERE to read more about Rosemary Shomaker and the other contributing authors in To Fetch a Scoundrel.

Comments

  1. Len Hayes sounds like a comfortable guy. I like that he is a bar owner, but hey, I'm the author! Yes, we know the comments section won't post your comments--dang. We'll figure that out. But, in the meantime, post comments on our Facebook page, @MuttMysteries. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post! Nice book!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SNEAK PEEK: "Sandy Paws" by Maria Hudgins

  C HAPTER O NE T he beach rental house called the Osprey’s Nest was full of summer guests and should have been full of laughter and music but it wasn’t. It was dead quiet. In fact, it looked a bit like Gettysburg the day after the battle. In the big central living room people lay on the floor, sprawled across sofas, slouched in leather recliners, and slumped over laptop computers with hands hovering over keyboards. Crumpled paper dotted the floor. Glasses of iced tea and bottles of beer sat forgotten on tables. Flip-flops were scattered randomly around the room, but the people weren’t dead. They were writers. They called themselves the Sand Fiddlers Writers Group and this was the week of their annual retreat. Sophie Perone, author of the popular Mysterious Gourmet books, had volunteered to do all the cooking and on this morning, Sophie had arranged her special cheese straws in tall glass tumblers and placed them all around the room so the writers could snack on them while they we