Skip to main content

GIVE THEM A DOG! By Rosemary Shomaker


I’m watching the televised US House of Representatives Impeachment inquiry hearing and hoping many of these witnesses and interrogators have dogs in their lives. For some people dogs provide companionship and comfort. For others, I realize, dogs do not play positive roles, or any roles, in their lives. They may have a fear of dogs, may have other pets or not pets by choice or necessity, or they may find care of their current canines a chore.
I find real solace in dogs. Even thinking of dogs relaxes me. The stress, rancor, and gravity of the impeachment hearings bespeak the seriousness of those proceedings. I am transfixed. My attention lags as I watch these because of the heavy tone. To counter this, my imagination steps in to provide relief. How much better would this all be if each of these witnesses held a dog in his/her lap during testimony? I picture a dog lying next to each congressional member’s (and staff) seat on the dais. The audience? In my mind, the room is already crowed with dogs, but hey, this is imagination, right? Give a dog to everyone who wants one. What about those apathetic or anti-dog people? Well, let’s not trigger anyone. In this tableau, I’ll suspend any negative effects. 
If you’ve found the Mutt Mysteries blog, you probably have fondness for dogs. Maybe you’ve been in situations where dog love has made a difference and you can appreciate my vision of dogs in the impeachment hearings. 
My childhood dog embodied the unconditional love I refused to accept from anyone else. He forbore my tears. My dog sustained me from childhood through my teenage years. As a young adult, my confidence in choice of boyfriends was strengthened when I witnessed their love of dogs. Thank you, Musket and Hercules, for your parts in your masters’ lives. 
I’ve always been thankful for the two dogs present in the lives of my children. Each dog shared its love with my children and stood as a quiet and stable comfort to me during those turbulent family years.
Finally, my dog was a valuable bridge into my empty nest years. He has crossed the Rainbow Bridge now, and I like to think in later years he was surprised and happy about the extra attention he finally got as my time spent on parenting was reduced.
Now I invite you to share in the comments your stories of how dogs have enriched or eased your life. We Mutt mysteries authors stand ready to reply and highlight your stories. Who knows? Your anecdotes may make their way into a Mutt Mysteries novella!

______________________________

ROSEMARY SHOMAKER writes about the unexpected in everyday life. She’s the woman you don’t notice in the grocery store or at church but whom you do notice at estate sales and wandering vacant lots. In all these places she’s collecting story ideas. Rosemary writes mystery, women’s fiction, and paranormal short stories. Stay tuned as she takes her first steps toward longer fiction. She’s an urban planner by education, a government policy analyst by trade, and a fiction writer at heart. Rosemary credits Sisters in Crime with developing her craft and applauds the organization’s mission of promoting the ongoing advancement, recognition, and professional development of women crime writers.


Comments

  1. Loved that Jonathan Turley shared he thought his dog was upset about the impeachment hearings! I bet he'd like to have had dogs in the hearing room to diffuse the rancor.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MUTT MADNESS featuring "The Fast and the Furriest" by Heather Weidner

“What’s Mutt Madness?” you ask? Why, it’s a party to celebrate the upcoming release of To Fetch a Scoundrel, the 2 nd installment in the Mutt Mysteries series. We know, we know…March 3rd is weeks away! And you want to hear more about these four fun “tails” of scandal and murder NOW ! So, we’ve designed a series of posts over the next week which will share with you a story summary, and also some insight into where the authors found inspiration for these "tall tails."  Today’s feature is…  “THE FAST AND THE FURRIEST” by Heather Weidner Isn’t there enough action under the lights at the Amelia Race Track without the drama of a love triangle? An altercation leads to murder, and owner Cassidy Green and her Rottweiler Oliver have to uncover clues and find the killer before the bad publicity destroys her business. We asked Heather where she found inspiration for this story: Years ago, my dad raced cars. He and my husband love to go to the races, especial